Skip to Main Content

Library FAQ

Access Services

How can I get access to my Library Account?

Contact the Circulation Desk for information on accessing and using My Library Account.


Where can I send or receive a fax?

We no longer offer faxing services. Please visit the student center for faxing services.


Where can I find photocopiers or microfilm / microfiche readers?

Self-service copy machines are located in the Audiovisual room on the first floor and in the ETRC on the second floor. Cost per copy is 10 cents. Microfilm and fiche reader printers are located in the Audiovisual room on first floor, and in the ETRC on the second floor. Digital images may be made from microfilm or microfiche which may be copied to a flash drive, e-mailed, or printed to the laser printer.


Where can I find course reserves?

Traditional (Print) Reserves (search catalog by instructor or course)

The Traditional Reserve Collection includes print and audiovisual materials which circulate for shortened loan periods. Search for these materials in the Library’s catalog by the faculty or course name. Simply present a valid University ID to check out materials at the Circulation Desk.


Where can I find magazines and newspapers?

Current Newspapers are available on the 2nd floor across from the RIS librarian offices. All issues of magazines are located by call# on the 3rd and 4th floors. Search the catalog to find the call# and location.

Many articles are available online, search journals@steen for availability.


Where can I find media, such as audio and video recordings?

Audio and/or video CD and DVD recordings are available from the Circulation Desk. Search the catalog for the call #.


Can I return Nacogdoches Public Library books to Steen Library?

Yes; Steen Library accepts and process materials borrowed from NPL, and books borrowed from Steen Library can be returned to NPL as well. In addition, you can also request books from NPL and pick them up from the circulation desk, usually the following day.


Can I renew materials online?

Renewals can be made using My Library Account in the Online Catalog as long as the item is not overdue, in person at the Circulation Desk, or by calling the Circulation Desk (468-1497).


How long can I borrow books and other library materials?

Most books have a 21 day loan period. Reserve and other materials have shorter periods. Check with the Circulation Desk for specific lengths of time materials can be borrowed.


How many times can I renew a book?

Material may be renewed as long as there are no holds and the borrower’s record has not been blocked. However there is a limit to the number of online renewals that can be made. Should you have difficulty renewing online visit the Circulation Desk to renew the item in person.


What are the fines for overdue books and materials?

Fines for items with loan periods of three weeks or longer are 10 cents per day, with 1-day grace period.

Fines for items with loan periods varying from overnight to less than three weeks are 50 cents per day, with no grace period.

Fines for items with hourly loan periods are .60 cent per hour.

Maximum fine per item is $10.00.


Can I borrow materials from other libraries?

To request items not available in Steen Library, use WorldCat -- the InterLibrary Loan Ordering System.


Where do I check out books?

Books can be checked out at the Circulation Desk, located on the first floor. Online map


What is the difference between a “hold” and a “recall”?

Both apply to materials that have been checked out. Items with a 21-day or longer loan period may have a hold placed on them. A recall may be placed on any item that has been checked out more than 21 days. Faculty may place an immediate recall on an item to be placed on Reserve.


How do I place a hold on a book?

A hold may be placed in person at the Circulation Desk, by sending an e-mail message to, or by clicking on “request item” or “request copy” when you’ve identified your book in the Online Catalog. Note you must have signed up for “My Library Account” to place a hold using the catalog.


What is a “trace”?

If you are unable to locate an item identified in the Online Catalog as being checked-in, contact the Circulation Desk to trace the item for you. You will be notified when the item is located.


How do I donate books?

If you have something you would like to share with the library, please contact the Circulation Desk at 468-1497.


What should I do if I lose a book?

All borrowers are expected to pay the replacement cost for lost or damaged items, plus a $10 processing fee per item. Overdue fines are not included in the replacement cost.


Where can I return my books?

Please return items to the Steen Library Circulation Desk on the first floor, the book drop located on the north side of Steen Library, or to the Nacogdoches Public Library.


How and where can I pay a library fine?

Fine can be paid online using the My Library Account via credit card.


What if I pay for a lost book and then find it?

Refunds are available if the lost book is returned within 6 months. Contact the Circulation Desk (468-1497) for more information. The $10.00 handling fee for a lost book is non-refundable.


What should I do if I get an overdue notice for a book which I have already returned?

Contact the Circulation Desk (468-1497) immediately.


What is TexShare, and how do I get a TexShare card?

TexShare allows current SFA faculty, staff, and students access to participating Texas libraries. TexShare libraries work together to offer users exclusive content, online education, career advancement tools, and expanded borrowing privileges. TexShare cards are issued at the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor of the library and must be renewed every year.

The lending policies of participating libraries can be viewed here:

Our lending polices for TexShare users can be viewed here: