A resume summarizes your accomplishments, skills, and work history. Think of it as an advertisement for the questions employers have about you. It’s meant to be quick, a brief introduction to yourself so that employers can glance at the resume and understand who you are as an employee, what you've accomplished, and what you could offer them.
Resumes vary depending on the job you are applying for, but here are the essentials for every successful resume:
- Provide your name, contact information, and address.
- if you don't have a professional sounding email, get a free account on Yahoo, Google, etc.
- Here you will write up your education background
- Provide high school, college, and beyond
- List degrees and graduation dates
- You can also list specific classes that are relevant to the job, even if you have not yet graduated.
- Don't forget any applicable certificates or specialized training, such as CPR Certification for a healthcare job
- This is often the most important section.
- You may provide a history of past jobs or volunteer opportunities that are relevant to the job you are seeking.
- A basic employment history has the following:
- Job title
- Name of employer and contact information
- Dates of employment
- Name of city and location
- Summary of job description and accomplishments
As you progress in responsibility, you will have accomplishments more than job responsibilities, but even in a first job, think about where you've performed above and beyond the expected.
Skills, accomplishments, and achievements
- This is an optional section, but important nonetheless.
- Here you will describe what you can bring to the job.
- An example might be: “Efficient in Microsoft Office.”
- You can also put any special certifications you might have if you didn't list them under education
- Generally, references are furnished upon request and in a separate document due to strict HR guidelines.
- Have available this basic information for approximately 3 people:
- Their title/rank
- Place of employment
- Contact information by phone and email